Kristine Kathryn Rusch

The Fey Series

Written By: Kristine Kathryn Rusch

The first book in the Place of Power Series (the Fey) will appear from WMG Publishing in 2014.

Right now, these books in the Fey series are available as e-books. You can find them in every ebookstore site.

The Fey: Sacrifice (Book One)
The Fey: Changeling (Book Two)
The Fey: Rival (Book Three)
The Fey: Resistance (Book Four)
The Fey: Victory (Book Five)

The Black Queen (Book Six)

The Black King will appear before the end of 2012 in ebook form.

It’s taking more time than we expected to hit trade paperback form, but I’ll let you know when the books are available.

Audible.com has reissued the Fey series in audio book editions.  They have just purchased The Black Queen and The Black King, so I expect those will be in audio in early 2013. You can find the audio books here:

The Fey: Sacrifice (Book One)
The Fey: Changeling (Book Two)
The Fey: Rival (Book Three)
The Fey: Resistance (Book Four)
The Fey: Victory (Book Five)

And to whet your appetite, WMG has published the only Fey short story (so far) in an electronic edition.

“Destiny” is a prequel to the entire series, featuring Solanda the Shapeshifter.  You can find the story in e-book format on Kindle, Nook, or Smashwords. “Destiny” is also available in trade paper, which you can order from any bookstore.

86 Comments

1. Rebecca DeLaGarza says:

Loved the series and have collected all the books. I am now passing them onto my son. I am excited to be able to read “Destiny” and to learn that another book will be forthcoming in November, 2011 as that is my birthday month and it’ll be a great gift for me from my son (wink wink!).

2. Caroline says:

Hi, I really loved the series, but as a french fan, I have a very frustratng problem :
    Did you know that “The Fey: Victory” has never been published in french? I read the firsts books one year ago, and I’m still beeing thinking about it : I want to read the end !
    Do you know any way to get a french version of this book published ? I’ll try to contact the “L’atalante” editions (they publish good fantasy books), to see if they may be interested.

However, thank you very mutch for this extraordinary story.

• Kris says:

Thanks, Caroline. I do know about the problem in France and have been trying to resolve it for years. My problem with e-publishing in French is that I would either have to pay the current translator if I can find them or I would have to hire a new translator. I hope to do all of this down the road, but it’s not going to be a priority for a few years.

No established French publisher (and I’ve talked to all of them, some personally) will take the series for the last book. It’s very very frustrating. You will be able to read the ending in English by the end of the year, but the French versions will take some time.

I wish I could be more helpful.

3. Wayne McCalla says:

Loved the Fey Series… Mine are still in excellent shape but may consider buying the new ones when they are released. When will they actually be coming out?

• Kris says:

Thanks, Wayne. They’ll be out later in the year. I’ll announce as soon as I have firm dates. (We’re having some trouble converting old files or it would be sooner. )

4. Ceri says:

I loved the series, and bought most of them years ago, but I couldn’t ever find a copy of book 4, and had to stop reading them. I gave into the temptation a couple of years later but without Bk 4 I felt like I missed something big. am so glad that they are being re-issued, as now I can read them all and hopefully fill in the missing bits.

• Kris says:

You did miss something big, Ceri. I’m glad you’ll be able to get them all soon. Bantam took Book 4 out of print almost immediately, for reasons I never learned, so there are far fewer copies of book 4 than any other book floating out there. By the end of the year, you should have it. WMG will keep all of the books in print. I promise. :-)

5. dawn Malk says:

Loved the Fey series and the Black Throne series. When will the next installment be out?

• Kris says:

Thanks, Dawn. Not until 2013, unfortunately. I got behind this fall in my writing due to personal issues. But watch this space, and I’ll have more on that when I know.

6. LadyNeat says:

I just bought the Destiny book on Barnes and Noble. Very excited to read it.

7. Tim says:

Hi, Kris

I just want to say that I am SO happy that the Fey series is being released in the EPUB format. I have all of the books for the Fey series and the Black Throne series, and have read them twice. Now I am buying the EPUB version for my Kobo eReader and I am enjoying the adventure from the start, once again!

I look forward to “The Place of Power” series.

Happy New Year, and all the best for 2012.
    Tim from Toronto, Ontario

• Kris says:

Thanks, Tim. You’re not alone in waiting for the Place of Power. And if I hadn’t had such a dismal fall, the book would arrive sooner rather than later! But I’ll have a notice here when it does appear. Thanks for all the kind words!

8. LadyNeat says:

Destiny was great and while short give you a good look at Solanda. Thank you for that. I loved the Fey series it is what got me to read all of your other books.

9. Jes says:

Will the resistance be coming out on the kindle? I just finishe the rival and i cant wait!!

10. Jes says:

Thank you, i found it!
    dont i feel silly!

• Kris says:

Don’t feel silly! It just went up a week or so ago. Enjoy! Here’s hoping we get Victory out before you finish Resistance. (It should be out by the end of the month.)

11. Jes says:

Hey its me again lol. I was wondering if the black queen and black king are coming to kindle as well…ive been waiting since 2 days after victory came out lol. i just love this series!!!!

12. Tony Cascella says:

Any more information on when The Place of Power series will be available?

Also will it be available on audio through Audible? I listened to all the Fey Series on Audible and it was great to listen. Then I had to purchase the Black King & Queen Series in paperback. It was ok but I had to order them fro Amazon and then read them. I much prefer to listen to them on audible.

Thank you for a wonderful series with some great characters and story lines. Waiting for the next Place of Power to take me away.

• Kris says:

Thanks, Tony. The Place of Power series won’t be for another year or so. I lost several months to my friend’s death and handling his estate. I need to write a version of the first PoP book that I’m happy with. But rest assured, it’s coming! And yes, it’ll be in audio. We’re trying to figure out the best way to get the books to audio, whether that will be through Audible or somewhere else. But we’ll have that settled by the time the new PoP book comes out.

13. Rich Brameld says:

I bought the series when it was first published then lent the books to a friend who disappeared with them! I have tried for years to get hold of books 4 and 5 but could never get hold of them. I’ve been checking weekly as soon as i bought a kindle and was delighted to find them yesterday.
    News about the new series next year has also made my day! Thank you for an amazing series.

• Kris says:

Thanks, Rich. I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying the series. Also, there are two more books–the Black King and the Black Queen–that will be available as e-books first, by June. They’re next, before the PoP series.

14. Rich Brameld says:

Thanks Kris – I still have my well worn paperback copies of both the Black King and Black Queen, which I have been waiting to re-read as soon as I had books 4 and 5 to start the entire series again :)

15. Nic H says:

Hey,
    I bought a copy of Resistance from you via ebay a few years back and we spoke via email, But in just trying to find some of The Fey quotes I just saw that there is Destiny. But I can’t find it anywhere in actual book form rather than Kindle version, do you know of it anywhere. I am in the UK so I have to add extra shipping to the cost.
    The Fey is my absolute favourite books ever. I tell everyone about them.

• Kris says:

Thank you for recommending the Fey, Nic. I’m so glad you like the series. I trust you’ve read the two Black Throne books…?

Destiny is a short story. So right now, it’s ebook only. You can read it on your computer as well. You can download it from Smashwords.com in a format to easily read on computer (even in the UK).

16. Nic H says:

Hey
    Thanks for getting back to me, yes I have read the Black Throne books and love them too. I’ll download the smash words book, thanks, I look forward to reading it.

17. I love the Fey so much. I started reading it when I was 15 in 2001 and it’s been such a favorite; surely it outranks the Wheel of Time and A Song of Ice and Fire as far as I’m concerned.
    Anyway, as 11/11 has come and gone, and I cannot find any information about the “Place of Power” series, I wonder if you might give us an update?

• Kris says:

Thanks so much, Johan. I got very far behind on my own writing schedule when a friend died and left us his estate. I do need to update on everything. Rest assured there will be a Place of Power series. I’m not going to announce a date for fear of disappointing again, but as I start up I’ll blog about it here. I appreciate the kind words.

18. Susanne Moers says:

Hi,

I know this question has been asked multiple times: When will the Black Queen/Black King Books come out on Kindle? I think you said June in a previous response but so far, nothing :(
    I am sure that I am not alone in hopes that they will come out soon! Take care and all the best Susanne

19. Renaud says:

I’m looking for your books (“Les Fey” in French) in Belgium for years. I have the first 4 volumes and then impossible to find the others! You may be the first author whose books I read in the original language. And then, I will read Terry Pratchett to perfect my english. :D
    J’ai adoré vos livres et ce sera un plaisir que de les relire dès que je trouverai les volumes manquants.

• I’m so glad you like the books, Renaud. They should be available in English in on any e-reader. You’ll probably have the best luck through the iBookstore or Kindle. You can also go to Smashwords.com and download directly from there for reading on your computer. The paper books are coming out soon–in English, I’m afraid. I’m hoping for translations in the next five years or so, but that won’t help you right now.

J’espère que vous pouvez trouver des livres aussi. Merci.

20. Tiffani says:

Can’t tell you how happy I am that you are writing more Fey books. I look forward to the Place of Power Series very much. Thank you so much for The Fey. I picked up the series when I was 14 and even though I have read a ton of other books since then, the Fey Series has remain my favorite to this very day.

P.S. – Is there even a small possibility of seeing Nicholas again in the Place of Power Series? I always hoped that maybe he was still alive.

• Thanks, Tiffani. :-) That means a lot to me.

I can’t answer yet on the Place of Power series, since so much of the plotting goes out the window as I write. But rest assured that even I will be surprised by the twists, and you will too. :-)

21. Lisa Bédard says:

Hi, I really loved the series, but as a FRENCH canadian fan, I have a very frustratng problem :
    Did you know that “The Fey: Victory” has never been published in french? I read the firsts books 6 year ago, and I’m still beeing thinking about it : I want to read THE END!
    Do you know any way to get a french version of this book published ? I want read again and I want to by all the book. May be Bragelone can translate the last book

However, thank you very mutch for this extraordinary story. And please dont forget your frenchs fans.

• Oh, I haven’t forgotten, Lisa. I’m as frustrated as you are that Victory wasn’t published in French. I’m hoping to get French translations of the books within the next five years. Unfortunately, I have to find someone to do all the work again, because I can’t get the translations out of the former publisher (and I have to pay that translator again as well). It’s less expensive to do new. Which I will do. It just takes time.

I spoke to Bragelonne, btw, and several other French publishers and they won’t take on the series primarily for the cost of the earlier books from the previous publisher, and they won’t do it without the earlier books. [sigh]

22. Sarah says:

Hello! I would like to thank you soo much for your fey books! I am such a fan of them that I got my mother to read them years ago and now I am getting my husband to read them as well. When I read that you were expanding on the fey series, I just couldn’t contain myself!

Right now I am re-reading the series and enjoying every moment of them as I did when I first read them! Thank you soo much!! I’m going to tell my mother that you are continuing the fey series.

23. Michael says:

Hi, I just wanted to express my continued love of the Fey series. I first got them many years ago when the UK only published up to book three (got all 5 from the US shipped at the time thanks to the e-mail you sent back then).

I am really excited to learn you are hoping to start a new series (Place of Power) as I often Google to see if anything new in the Fey series is upcoming.

Good luck with the writing!

24. Tim says:

OMG! I am very excited. I just purchased the Black King through Smashwords. Guess what I will be reading tonight.

25. Emer in Ireland says:

I love the fey books after finding the first 2 in a 2nd hand book store in Ireland, then I had to order the rest online! They are just fantastic, will there be more coming out in the Black Queen/ Kind series?

• Thank you, Emer! Yes, there will be more, in 2014, probably. I’m slow getting back up to speed on the series, and then there is the publishing time through WMG. As I start, though, there will probably be some short stories as I do extra world building. So about this time next year, watch for new material.

26. Quenten Walker says:

I loved the Fey and Black Throne series. But the Black King just didn’t finish the series – surely there is at least one more book in this series. Will a sequel to Black King be writen . From an ever hopeful fan.

• Actually, Quenten, there are several more. I just have to move them from my head to the page. I didn’t write them for a long time because no publisher wanted the middle of a series, after Bantam decided it no longer wanted fantasy from me. Now I have a publisher; I just need a stretch to refamiliarize myself with the details and to get going. Thanks for the great letter.

• Christine Row says:

The Fey series inspired me to become a writer. I loved its complexity and paid a whopping $40 for Resistance in paperback because I just couldn’t bear not knowing what happened next.

I also loved The Black Throne series, but felt that it ended abruptly, with a lot of loose ends dangling. I suspected that perhaps your publisher decided to cancel that series part-way in, because the ending to The Black King seemed rushed compared to the Fey series.

I’m delighted to hear that there are more coming! Now I have an excuse to re-read everything in anticipation. Do you think there will be three more books in the Black Throne series? I’m thrilled that everything is coming out as ebooks also, since my copies are worn and well-read by now.

Thanks for taking up this fantastic series again!

~ A grateful and inspired fan

• Thank you for this marvelous letter, Christine. You caught me: I crammed everything into the Black King that I could when the publisher declined the third book in that series. So I’ll be going over everything, then working on what I’m tentatively calling the Place of Power series. I need to review the details myself before I get too deep. There are many more books, including a planned YA–if I can just get to them! I appreciate the letter.

27. Bill Card says:

Kris,

I’m detecting that the only way to get the Fey series is as Kindle downloads. Please tell me that’s not true. I’m an old-time reader and I work all day long on computers so I look forward to sitting in my rocker by the fireplace and reading while actually holding a book and leaving the computer for tomorrow’s workday. Please tell me that I can get the series other than on Kindle. Please. Pretty please. With sugar on it?

28. Melanie Ihmels says:

Hello Ms. Rusch,

Wanted to let you know about the best $1.25 I ever spent. I found the first 5 books of this series at the bottom of a ‘Whatever’ basket in a used bookstore. Was thrilled to find a complete series all in one place and at a quarter a piece I could not say no. Then I read them…wow!! The series has pulled me in completely and am not ashamed to say you got tears and angry ranting out of me. Then I found the last 2 books at another used store and grabbed them up. Was just as mesmerized! Personal opinion here but what happened to Rugad was just too good for him!! By the time I was finished the Black King was already writing the next book in my head…a book written from the perspective of the culture where the third place of power is and how the worlds collide in many accidental, criminal , and mystical ways. I Know, I know…is your story, but sometimes a fantasy writer just can’t resist playing!

Anyway, I love your writing and was thrilled to look you up today (finished Black King a few hours ago) and see you are releasing a new book. Thank you…like you did it just for me….lolol! Looking forward to many more words,

A fellow fantasy writer,

Melanie

• Thank you, Melanie. I’m so glad you like the series. I even know where you got mad. :-) (I did too, btw.) Yep, the next one is taking a bit more work than expected–a 10 year hiatus in writing something is a bit much–but I’m getting there. I appreciate the kind words.

• Melanie Ihmels says:

Ms. Rusch,

Do your characters do the same as mine and decide to do things completely different from what you thought they were going to do?? And then new ones popping up wherever they please. I suddenly have a ancient God of the North appearing in the middle of my book. Did not know he was there at all than bam! surprise! I get the sense your stories like to surprise you as much as mine surprise me.

As to time…understand. Between job, school, family and church I am lucky to get any writing in some days!

Melanie

29. Tim says:

2014 is a long way away(whine)

• I know. But I have to review, reread, and then write the book. I wish I could download the story from my brain to yours right now, but sadly, that’s not possible yet. :-)

• Tim Mills says:

I wish… sigh.

Not just to butter you up, but this is my favorite series, hands down.
        I have read them about 5 or six times now, every time a new one comes out and as soon as they were available for download.
        I love that is see new things with each read and still somehow get surprised. Sometimes I still hope to go in a different direction (book two!) but i am along for the ride.
        Phaedra told me a long time ago it was based on the 100 years war. I still need to bone up my history for that one.

30. Melissa says:

I’m confused… above, in your notes, it says that the Black King will be available in 2012 in paperback, yet I’m holding in my hand (which I’ve finished) a paperback copy printed in 2000.
    I was just wondering if there is a plan for another after it? I’m curious about Lyndred and Con…

• When I wrote that, Melissa, the Black King had been out of print for more than a decade. It’s back in print now, and will be in paper again a little later than planned–in the fall.

And yes, there are plans for more. Just no publication date yet. Thanks for asking!

31. Aleida says:

Thank you so much for your books. I thoroughly enjoyed the Retrieval Artist series and your writing there gave me the courage to have another go at reading Fantasy. I’m glad I did. I love the Fey series. In fact, I’ve been kidnapped by them. I’m only halfway through — it could be some time before my friends see me again… LOL
    I was wondering if you have a map of Blue Isle? I found when I was reading Game of Thrones that the map of Westeros (an app on my iphone) was really helpful to keep track of where the characters are and get a sense of distances etc. If you do have a map, could you please load it onto this website?
    Thanks again for being such a prolific writer. I’m enjoying your work very much.

–Aleida

32. ren says:

i supeer love the story the way the you write and how imaginative you are, though i only read the second book which i bought in a booksale…
    so sad though i cant find the other books here in our bookstore…
    thanks to ebook i can now read the other series of the fey!!!
    THANKYOU FOR THE BEAUTIFUL STORY!!!

• Thanks, ren. The trade paper editions of all the books are available. You can ask your bookstore to order them if you prefer paper. Otherwise, they’re also available in ebook (as you noticed) and audio too. Thanks for the kind words!!!!!

33. reverie says:

I just wanted to say thank you for writing this wonderful series. I just started book three today, and I am torn between wanting to devour the whole series as quickly as possible so I can see what happens (because I am so curious), and wanting to slow down and savor them so that I don’t run out of books too soon (because I know I will be sad when there’s no more left since I’ve read them all).

34. Tiffani Westphal says:

Any news on when the new Fey book will be out. I can’t tell you how much I am looking forward to the next series. I hope it’s going well. Thanks for writing more Fey!

35. Danielle says:

Oh. My. God. My high school library had a few of these books, and I loved them. Definitely going to grab these when I have the chance. Thanks!

36. Tristan says:

I’ve been devouring this series and enjoying it a lot! I love the characters, the non-conventional fantasy setting, and the plot. The evolution of events always feels very natural and coherent with the personalities involved, yet is very difficult to foresee. I like that it’s not sensationalist: the major event of the fifth book was sort of anticlimatic, yet it didn’t feel disappointing since the way it happened just made sense.
    I’ve been surprised to find that this series is pretty obscure on Goodreads (I got into it via the StoryBundle). It might now be among my favorite series, with the Emperor’s Edge and the Death’s Gate Cycle. I’m looking forward to read more from you.